Tuesday, January 22, 2008

EMI challenge - finally a major wakes up

Thoughts + Business

Guy Hands has realised that the music industry's investments are not delivering much. And that it is a massive task to turnaround a institutional company like EMI. In his blognote, Gerd Leonhard sites the Digital Music News article:
EMI needs to be able to capitalize on A&R's creative output and respond to consumer trends rapidly, and on a global scale. This means that we will move from a regional business model to a global functional model in which the primary reporting lines are aligned to the functions and not to geographical location.

I think Guy Hands has shown his experience as venture capitalist and business leader by boldly going into an industry that has stagnated because of its unwillingness to adapt. Reasons for the stagnation are many I believe. Through my own experience, I would argue one of the reasons to be leaders who are very incapable of analysing and are living by the words "sex, drugs and rock ' roll".

Music is often seen as art. Well, it is when you just concentrate on the production. We have to remember that it becomes a business when the artists and labels want to get some income from it. At that point, you HAVE to be to able realise changes and adapt to the fast changing business environment.

Guy Hands is actually doing this. I give my praise to him as he seems to be one of the few ones with enough balls to change a music major. Many in the music industry talk about EMI sinking, but I beg them to explain why. If I would be an artist, I would definitely stay. Finally EMI is awake.

1 comment:

EMI On The Way Up? « Global Nomad said...

[...] January I wrote a post about the overhaul of the company, predicting that Guy Hands business approach on music production [...]