Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Peace Is My Culture

Thoughts

peace

I was thinking about another kind of soul, one that runs through every one of us, no matter where we come from. It's the pure, essential truth of what each of us is, and can achieve. All my life I'd been a fighter. I was always ready, too ready, to fight for what I loved, and against what I deplored. In the end, I became the expression of that fight, and my real nature was concealed behind a mask of menace and hostility.

They nailed their stakes into the earth of my life, and marked it with a new name, Shantaram - man of peace. Whether they discovered that peace or created it, the truth is that the man I am was born in those moments. The better man that, slowly, and much too late, I began to be.

- Roberts, Gregory David (2003) Shantaram

No comments: