Friday, January 12, 2007

New York, New York pt.2

Philosophy + Travel

So the aim in during the New York trip is to find the 'Essence of New York'. I've been talking to and trying to find the essence from the lips of the locals and filming them. As you might remember, I believe you have to see it, before your lips can talk about it. So the locals are the best ones to do so.

So I've been given diverse comments on my question. It is been the subway, hot dog stands, people, the hue that encloses us all, Times Square etc etc etc.... Everyone has had their opinions on it and its been great to talk to them about it. I thank you all, see you on film.

However, it took the whole week, before I found the best description of the essence. Yesterday at a bar I ended up talking to Ian, the person who took Stuff-lifestyle magazine to USA. I've seen few people with the same inner light of acceptance radiating from people, but Ian was one of them. This is what he said: "The essence is not the normal material objects that make New York feel unique. They are a big part of the city of New York, though they are not the reason why people come here. The essence is the dream of something better".

There it was, like a bolt from the sky it hit me right on the spot. It is the same for London. The reason I moved there few years ago, was the dream of something better. It the reason why people move to the cities and why these cities are seen as gleaming diamonds to be.

No comments: