Sunday, July 08, 2007

Global Cool @ Ministry of Sound

Performance

I was commissioned to produce Live Visuals for DJ Pete Tong’s 'Wonderland' night on 07.07.07 in Ministry of Sound. If nothing else, at least the lucky seven was lined up for me. One of the major current debate is global warming and Ministry of Sound is the first dance brand addressing the clubbers, projected through a non-profit Global Cool. Therefore, I collaborated with Pete Tong in order get the punters to take action.

Aim of the visuals was to create a propaganda style moving imagery about the beauty of the planet. I used elements of video, photography, graphics with propaganda addressed using text layers. The content was rather easily created, coordinating photographers in the cities of Barcelona, London and New York. You can find a sample of the contents here.

Major challenge was the time limit. The commission came some 2 weeks before the night and was actually confirmed just 4 days before the stage time. That left me very little time to write narratives. The direction ended up being very improvised, with emphasis on content collection and punch line creation. Live editing was done on the spot.

However, the night was a success. I had fun, enjoyed my contribution for the good cause and visuals worked really well most of the time. Hopefully the Global Cool movement continues. There is only one thing that I am missing. Again, like on those hundreds of music gigs, I can't recall any concious moments of mixing. Am I doomed to lose the most amazing moments of my life?

No comments: